MINUTES LUP JOINT PLANNING TEAM

CLFN LAND USE JOINT PLANNING TEAM MEETING MINUTES
On this page you will find minutes of meetings of the “JOINT PLANNING TEAM” (formely known as the “Working Group”). 

As further meetings are held, minutes of such meetings will be posted on this page.

First of two set of meeting Minutes Held on November 26, 2012;

Minutes of special meeting with Chief and Band Council Members held on November 26, 2012 at 10:00 am at the Constance Lake Band Office.

Attendance:
Bertha Sutherland, Land Use Specialist & Chairperson
Roger Wesley, Chief, CLFN
Beatrice Ineese, Band Councillor
Darius Ferris, Band Councillor
Raymond Stephens, ATK and Trapper’s Council Coordinator
Stanley Stephens, Elder Representative
Chris Marr, Far North Branch, MNR
Patrick Gidley, Far North Branch, MNR

Absent:
Justin Neegan, Youth Representative
Gaëtan Baillargeon , CLFN Liaison
Melanie Johnson, Far North Branch, MNR
Jemima Baxter, Women Representative
Derek Ineese, Trapper’s Council Representative

Overview of Far North Act

Chris Marr presented an overview of the Far North by teleconference. A Power Point accompanied the presentation. (See attached).

He explained that the Northern Boreal Initiative (NBI) program was the seed that brought forward the Far North Act (FNA). FNA allows a Land Use Planning (LUP) process that requires approval of both Ontario and the First Nation Community. FNA gives a legal basis to the process. However, it is up to the Community to decide if they want to plan. They do not have to.

A LUP approved by a First Nation Community is required for major development to occur. It will bring orderly development.

Once the plan is completed, the Chief and the Minister sign off on the plan.

Stanley Stephens ask for clarification on major development that cannot occur unless a plan is in place and the fact that development can occur during the preparation of the plan.
Chris explained that roads, exploration and other preparatory work can occur during the development of the plan.

The Chief stressed that Pikangikum has its own licence to do forestry but they are still subject to the CFSA. He asked if the Far North Act will bring co-management of the land. Presently, nothing in the Act says that mining, hunting, fishing and licensing of resource extraction activities will be under the control of the Community.

Chris Marr explained that the Far North Act does not amend other Acts. The Far North Act is specific in scope and specifically addresses the process and relationship between First Nations and Ontario to develop a community based land use plan, It is not based on jurisdiction. However, it is understood that many First Nations including CLFN having a LUP may indicate that they want to go in that direction.

The Chief asked if all the Acts that apply in the south will apply in the Far North for the area the land use plan is to completed for.
Chris said several Acts already apply province wide: eg. Public Lands Act, Fish and Wildlife Conservation Act and others. The Far North Act is its own geographically specific Act that does not change the intent of other pieces of legislation already in existence in those areas.

The Chief asked when Ontario will move toward co-management.

Chris re-iterated that the FNA does not give a First Nation management of its territories.

The Chief said there must be a move toward some kind of co-management.
Chris replied that CLFN would have to discuss this with Senior government officials as i9t is out of scope for planning and process discussions. He added the Ministry is already getting these questions. He believes the Land Use Plan process has set the stage for discussions. He offered to arrange a meeting with Diane Corbett (Director of the Far North Branch) during the MNR Conference on Far North to be held in Thunder Bay on January 14th to 18th, 2013, or any other time that works for both Chief Wesley and Dianne’s schedules.

The Chief asked for copies of the Acts that will apply to the Far North.

Louis Corbel
Secretary

Second set of Meeting Minutes Held on November 26, 2012;

Minutes of special meeting with Elders and Community held on November 26, 2012 at Constance Lake Community Hall.

Attendance: (33)
Bertha Sutherland, Land Use Planning Specialist & Chairperson
Vanessa Ineese, Land Use Specialist Assitant
Stanley Stephens. Elder Representative
Raymond Stephens ATK and Trapper’s Council Coordinator
Gaëtan Baillargeon CLFN Liaison
Chris Marr Far North Branch, MNR
Patrick Gidley Far North Branch, MNR
Absent:
Justin Neegan Youth Representative
Melanie Johnson Far North Branch, MNR
Jemima Baxter Women Representative
Derek Ineese Trappers Council Representative

Community Guests;
Jimmy Sutherland Elder Darius Wabano
Henry Wesley Elder Peter Spence
Jimmy Ferris Elder Chad Taylor
Emily John-George Elder Raven Sutherland
Kathleen Shaganash Elder Taneisha Sutherland
Kristen Bouchard Katherine Stephens
Leroy Ineese Cassandra Sutherland
Linda Ineese Larry Sutherland
Georgina Wesley Swayla Baxter
Jayden Ineese Desirea Taylor
Beatrice Ineese David John-George
Dorian Sutherland Hanna Bear
Daeshawn Sutherland Nancy Wesley

A copy of the Draft Terms of Reference for the Land Use Plan was distributed to all present at the start of the meeting.

Introduction
Bertha greeted Elders and Band Members and explained how the meeting would unfold.

She introduced the members of the CLFN LUP Working Group.

Guiding our Future
Bertha presented, by Power Point, a document titled “Guiding our Future” (Copy attached) which introduces Community Land Use Planning in the Far North. A copy of the document was distributed to all present.

With the help of a large poster Bertha explained the steps in Land Use Planning and at what stage the community is at now.

Bertha explained that Stanley Stephens had collected information on the Community’s Traditional Knowledge in 2008 and that Raymond Stephens was continuing this work.

Area of interest
Bertha also presented a map of the “Area of Interest” which outlines Constance Lake First Nation’s traditional territories in the Far North Area. She explained that CLFN will be talking to its neighbouring First Nation communities in order to determine which areas are of shared interest.

Terms of reference
Bertha then explained that the Working Group has now established a draft “Terms of Reference” for the Land Use Plan. She stressed that there will be several public meetings and that the input from Band Members is important before finalizing the Terms of Reference.

She also explained that both Ontario and CLFN must “sign off” on the final Land Use Plan document. The Plan must be supported by both parties or it will not have Force of Law.

Bertha explained that the Working Group is working from the Plan adopted by the Cat Lake First Nation.

Finally, Bertha introduced a “Question and Answer” sheet about Land Use Planning. She mentioned that this sheet was delivered to each household in the community (copy attached).

Question and Answer
A Band member made a comment in his native language. Stanley Stephens translated: “We should be managing and policing our area. We should restrict how many moose can be killed. We should also restrict fishing and eliminate catch and release. Non-natives are damaging the resources in our area. There are a lot of poachers going down the river. The Carey Lake outfitter should be controlling how much is taken out. It is good to make a plan but we must also control the area. There is a problem with garbage and even drums being left in the woods”.

Chris Marr explained that the present exercise is for land use but not for management. He said he talked to the Chief and they agree the plan is a step forward but it does not give CLFN management authority over its area of interest. The plan will set land use designations based on the communities interests coupled with Ontario’s interests but it is not about management. Chief Wesley is actively pursuing a discussion with the Far North Director to discuss some elements as to how CLFN will work with Ontario after the Final Plan is established and approved.

An Elder intervened saying he has been following land use planning efforts for several years and has not missed a meeting. He believes the plan is for Indian people. To understand one must attend all meetings. This is important.

Chris added that it will take a while. He encouraged all to participate and also to comment and ask questions adding that this is about finding a common understanding through a consensus based approach to set land use designation for the Constance Lake’s planning area of interest.

Chris added that it will take a while. He encouraged all to participate and also to comment and ask questions.

Bertha concluded by asking people to take a look at the different maps and posters on the walls and ask members of the Working Group questions.

Door Prizes- Gift Cards winners

1st- Jayden Ineese
2nd- Larry Sutherland
3rd – Katherine Stephens

Louis Corbeil
Secretary.

Minutes of special meeting held on September 20, 2012 at District MNR office in Hearst at 10:30 am

Attendance:
Mike McGee CLFN Band Administrator
Jemima BaxterWomen’s Representative
Bertha Sutherland Land Use Specialist & Chairperson
Raymond Stephens ATK and Trappers Council Coordinator
Louis Corbeil Working Group Secretary (Hearst District MNR)
Chris Marr Far North Branch, MNR
Melanie Johnson Far North Branch, MNR
Patrick Gidley Far North Branch, MNR
Gaetan Baillargeon CLFN Liaison

Agenda
The purpose of the meeting was to present the progress made by the Working Group towards a Terms of Reference (TOR) for a land use plan for an area of interest in the Far North to the Band Administrator. Bertha explained that Councillor Darius Ferris was supposed to attend but could not make it

The group reviewed the last version of the TOR (1_6) with Mr. McGee.

This was the first time the Terms of Reference were presented to the Band Administrator. Mr. McGee said he believed the TOR could be presented to the Band Council before the holidays.

Bertha noted that a community meeting is scheduled for October 17, 2012.

Louis Corbeil
Scribe

Minutes of meeting held on September 17, 2012 at Constance Lake Band Office at 1:00 pm

Attendance(10):
Vanessa Ineese Assistant to the Land Use Coordinator
Jemima Baxter Women’s Representative
Derek Ineese Trapper Representative
Bertha Sutherland Land Use Specialist & Chairperson
Raymond Stephens ATK and Trappers Council Coordinator
Louis Corbeil Working Group Secretary (Hearst District MNR)
Chris Marr Far North Branch, MNR
Melanie Johnson Far North Branch, MNR
Patrick Gidley Far North Branch, MNR
Gaetan Baillargeon CLFN Liaison

Absent:
Darius Ferris Band Council Representative
Justin Neegan Youth Representative
Stanley Stephens Elder’s Representative

Agenda
The purpose of the meeting was to present to the Band Council the progress made by the Working Group towards a Terms of Reference (TOR) for a land use plan for an area of interest in the Far North. Bertha explained that Council had an emergency meeting today and would not be available to meet the Working Group.

The group reviewed the last version of the TOR (1_5).

Louis explained that Suzanne Morin is working on a map of the area of interest to CLFN which will be delineated by a shaded contour instead of a line. This will recognize CLFN’s willingness to share land with adjacent neighbouring First Nations. He added that the shaded
Area will be on the Far North part of CLFN’s traditional territories.

Mélanie noted we will need someone to make maps after December 2012, since Suzanne Morin will be off for a year.

Chris Marr reported that the Land Use Planning work for Mushkegowuk Tribal Council Communities is not progressing much and that the process may revert back to negotiations with individual communities.

Stanley will be asked to provide translation at the community meeting.

A written summary of the draft TOR will be prepared for Band Council and translated in Oji-Cree to be presented to the Elders.

The target date for a community meeting to be held at the community centre is now October 17th. Wilfrid Wesley from Cat Lake will be invited to speak at that meeting.

Next meeting
Next meeting is scheduled for Wednesday October 3rd, 2012.

Work in progress
• Get 1976 map from Dr. Pollock – April 20, 2011
• Map of Area of Interest from Suzanne Morin – July 26, 2012

Louis Corbeil
Scribe

 

Minutes of meeting held on August 16, 2012 at Constance Lake Community Centre at 9:30 am

Attendance(10):
Justin Neegan Youth Representative
Jemima Baxter Women’s Representative:
Bertha Sutherland Land Use Specialist & Chairperson
Raymond Stephens ATK and Trappers Council Coordinator
Gaetan Baillargeon Native Liaison, CLFN
Louis Corbeil Working Group Secretary (Hearst District MNR)
Chris Marr Far North Branch, MNR
Melanie Johnson Far North Branch, MNR
Patrick Gidley Far North Branch, MNR

Guests:
Lauren Toppozini
Taylor Wilkinson Planning Area Boundary and Watersheds map

Absent:
Derek Ineese Trapper Representative
Darius Ferris Band Council Representative
Stanley Stephens, Elder Representative
Vanessa Ineese Assistant to the Land Use Coordinator

Agenda
Bertha presented the agenda for the day. The following items were added:
• Review version 1.3 of TOR
• Map of CLFN Area of interest

Minutes July 26, 2012 meeting
Chris Marr gave an update on the Land Use Planning work of the Mushkegowuk Tribal Council. There seems to be problems at the political level which is slowing down the progress. The TOR has been rewritten without consultation with either Ontario or the Community. Chris assured the CLFN working Group that planning will still go ahead with CLFN and arrangements will be made when meetings are required with individual communities of the Mushkegowuk Tribal Council.

Proposed by: Jemima Baxter
Seconded by: Justin Neegan

That the minutes of the meeting held on July 26, 2012 be hereby adopted as amended.
Approved by consensus.
Staff Report

Gaetan Baillargeon:
CLFN met with GTA (Junior Mining Company) which has claims in CLFN’s heartland.

CLFN also met with Luc Smith of Phoscan and John Sadowsky of MNR. It seems there are caribou on the area where the mine is to be developed.

CLFN also met Zenyatta. They are moving away from Eagle’s Earth.

Water Power: Northland has almost finished its E.A. for the construction of 4 dams on the Kabinakagami River.

Amik is discussing the possibility of bringing 103,000 cubic metres of waste wood to the Co-generation plant with Atlantic Power.

Negotiations are still ongoing with Lecours Lumber for the lease of land for the sawmill. The last agreement dates back 3 years. CLFN has demanded that more serious negotiations be undertaken and has set September 28 as a target date.

Raymond Stephens:
ATK activities will start in September
Will attend a trapper’s convention next week

Bertha Sutherland:
CLFN proposal to SAR for funding was not approved.
Will undertake additional “Cultural Mapping” for ATK
Climate change survey done by Dr. Pearson is now completed. He will come back and make a presentation.
Getting training from Matawa Tribal Council on LUP
Working on TOR
Submitted an article for the local newsletter explaining our work
Trying to get Executive Director involved

Revised water land cover data
Taylor Wilkinson from MNR Peterborough gave a power point presentation on watershed and work done in the Far North (See map attached). She mentioned that quaternary watersheds are presently being developed. This will allow communities to better determine what water course may be affected by a given development by allowing better tracking of where water flows.

Sensitive data & training requirements
Lauren Toppozini from MNR Region explained that documents collected through the land use planning process are subject to the Freedom of Information and Protection of Privacy Act (FIPPA). A form is available for access to sensitive information.

Timetable
The following timetable is set by the Working Group:
• Regular meetings will continue every third Thursday of the month.
• There will be a WebEx meeting on Thursday August 23 at 2 pm to review TOR.
• The Working Group will meet with Mike McGee, Executive Director, on September 17, 2012 at 1 pm.
• Will require a meeting with Chief and Council; date not set.
• Public meeting for presentation on Land Use Planning is set for October 3. Elders in the afternoon and open meeting at night.

Maps
Working Group members gathered around maps of the Far North and of the CLFN Area of interest (See map & explanation attached). These maps will be presented to the membership.

Terms of Reference (TOR)
Melanie led a review of the last version of the TOR (1.2). Many changes were discussed. There will be a WebEx meeting at 2 pm on August 23, 2012 to review changes.

Next meeting
A WebEx meeting will be held on August 23 and a face-to-face meeting on September 17, 2012.

Work in progress & date issue first discussed
• Get map from Dr. Pollock – April 20, 2011.
• Information Sharing Protocol with District MNR & Classification of sensitive documents – May 11, 2011.
• Community meeting for pictures and Far North Map – May 11, 2011.

Louis Corbeil
Scribe

 Minutes of meeting held on July 26, 2012 at Constance Lake Band Office at 1:00 pm

Attendance(10):
Justin Neegan Youth Representative
Jemima Baxter Women’s representative
Stanley Stephens Elder’s Representative
Derek Ineese Trapper Representative
Bertha Sutherland, Land Use Specialist & Chairperson
Raymond Stephens ATK and Trappers Council Coordinator
Louis Corbeil Working Group Secretary (Hearst District MNR),
Chris Marr Far North Branch, MNR
Melanie Johnson Far North Branch, MNR
Patrick Gidley Far North Branch, MNR
Absent:
Darius Ferris Band Council Representative
Vanessa Ineese Assistant to the Land Use Coordinator

Agenda
Bertha presented the agenda for the meeting. No new items were added.

Minutes April 11, 2012 Meeting
The group reviewed the minutes.
Jemima asked if the film was completed. Bertha explained that the film of the 2011 raft trip to Moose Factory is still not completed and that there were no funds available in the 2012 – 2013 budget. She added that there were photos and filming during this year’s river trip with the Elders and Larry Taylor (CLFN member) may be asked to put together a presentation.
Chris Marr distributed a “Planning Sequence” for the LUP exercise. This will be refined for next meeting.
Meetings by the Chief with neighbouring FN communities are still in the planning stage. Since communities part of the Mushkegowuk Tribal Council are looking at a joint LUP and are not progressing at the same rate, CLFN will wait for an invitation from Jason Gauthier, Planner, Mushkegowuk Tribal Council.

Proposed by: Jemima Baxter
Seconded by: Stanley Stephens
That the minutes be approved as presented. Carried.

2012 – 2013 Budget and Agreement
Bertha said that the TPA agreement was signed and the revised budget approved (Total subsidy of $280,000).

Staff Updates
ATK and Trapper’s Council Coordinator:
• Raymond said that an ATK draft questionnaire is completed and will be submitted to the
Working Group.
• Three projects where submitted to CORDA. Two were not accepted but $27,000 for
training young trappers was approved. He also noted that the Trapping Council was
more active. Many trappers are taking the commercial trapping course.
• Ray participated in the river trips.
• Ray has been busy with nuisance bears.
LUP Coordinator:
• Bertha said the Band Council has approved the use of the Band logo on the ATK questionnaire and river survey (?).
• Bertha participated in the June river trip with Elders. They went to Mammamattawa Cabins and to the Forks.
• Dr. Pearson of Laurentian University is interviewing Elders for his study on climate change. Stanley is helping him, providing translation.
• Bertha will be preparing an article on Land Use Planning to be published in the Band Newsletter.
• CLFN is participating in a SAR (Caribou) project.

Planning Course Presentation
Bertha presented a generic power point titled “Guiding Our Future” which will help us prepare for the presentation of the TOR to the community in September 2012. The group discussed what and how to adapt the presentation to CLFN. It is suggested that there be 2 presentations during the day, one mainly for Elders. Stanley will provide translation.
Bertha will be talking on the community radio about LUP. A newsletter will also be published.

Louis will talk to Suzanne Morin to produce a map of the CLFN Area of Interest for LUP as approved by the Band Council. Louis will also look up examples of mapping values done during the work on the Phoscan mine.

Reading Draft Terms of Reference (TOR)
Justin Neegan read out loud the balance of the draft TOR (Page 9 to 14). Bertha and Chris will prepare recommended changes as proposed by members of the group. Chris said he would try to have as much of the changes incorporated before the next meeting.

Chris also mentioned that the “Institute of Watershed Studies”(?) could make a presentation on protecting water but that said group did not have a traveling budget. He added that scientific studies of the Far North Area, undertaken 4 years ago by MNR, are now completed and results are being analysed.

Next meeting
Next meeting is scheduled for Thursday, August 16, 2012. Items on the agenda will include:
• Presentation by Jane Toppozini (MNR Region) on information sharing between MNR & First Nations.
• Review Draft TOR with changes
• Plan Community presentation in September

Work in progress
• Get 1976 map from Dr. Pollock – April 20, 2011
• Map of Area of Interest from Suzanne Morin – July 26, 2012

Louis Corbeil
Scribe

Minutes of meeting held on April 11, 2012 at Constance Lake Community Centre at 9:30 am

Attendance:
Justin Neegan Youth Representative
Jemima Baxter Women’s representative
Stanley Stephens Elder’s Representative
Roger Wesley Chief (for budget item)

Staff:
Bertha Sutherland, Land Use Specialist & Chairperson
Raymond Stephens ATK and Trappers Council Coordinator
Vanessa Ineese Assistant to the Land Use Coordinator
Louis Corbeil Working Group Secretary (Hearst District MNR),
Chris Marr Far North Branch, MNR
Melanie Johnson Far North Branch, MNR
Patrick Gidley Far North Branch, MNR

Absent:
Derek Ineese Trapper Representative
Darius Ferris Band Council Representative

Agenda
Bertha presented the agenda for the meeting. No new items were added.

April 1st, 2012 to June 30th, 2013 Budget
Bertha distributed the proposed budget that was presented to Far North as part of a request for subsidies.
(See budget attached).

Chris Marr explained that Ontario had adopted a budget of $5,000,000 for Land Use Planning in all First Nation communities. More and more communities are embarking on Land Use Planning. Constance Lake First Nation (CLFN) will not get the $400,000 they had asked for. He asked the committee to reduce their request to $280,000 for next year. He suggested that we build on what is offered and possibly in December 2012, if money is freed because some communities decided not to go ahead with their planning, CLFN could ask for additional funds. He added that he fully expected that there will be money for land use planning for the next 4 years but it was impossible to determine how much will be allocated to each community per year.

Chris added that one of the selling points he used for CLFN is that there was a good, experienced team (employees and working group) in place.

It was agreed that for the next year the committee would work at finishing the Land Use Plan and present it to the community for endorsement.

The committee reviewed the budget in order to reduce it to a total of $280,000.

Stanley stressed it was important to talk to neighbouring First Nation’s about the plan and the area of interest.

The Chief said he agreed with Stanley but added that this should be done once the community has endorsed the plan.

The Chief said that the Band Council had approved, in principle, an area of interest for Constance Lake in the Far North. He added that the Council is not saying “this is our land” but rather, considers the outskirts of the area as “shared territories” with neighbouring First Nations. Once the plan is further advanced CLFN will meet with its counterparts and discuss how these territories will be managed.

Chris said that other First Nation’s have expressed interest in meeting CLFN on a preliminary basis to discuss Land Use Planning. He suggested that such a meeting could take place in Timmins where James Bay costal communities meet from time to time.

LUP Terms of Reference
Bertha distributed revised, draft Terms of Reference dated March 27, 2012.

Justin Neegan read pages 1 to 8 to the committee out loud. Numerous improvements and corrections were made. The reading of other pages will be done at the next meeting.

Next meeting
No date is set at this time for the next meeting.

Work in progress & date issue first discussed:

• Get map from Dr. Pollock – April 20, 2011
• Information sharing Protocol with District MNR & Classification of sensitive documents – May 11, 2011
• Community meeting for pictures and Far North map – May 11, 2011

Louis Corbeil
Scribe

NOTE;February 17, 2012 meeting minutes to be added

 Minutes of meeting held on October 5, 2011 at Constance Lake Band Office at 1:20 pm

Attendance(10):
Derek Ineese Trapper Representative
Justin Neegan Youth Representative
Jemima Baxter, Women’s Representative
Stanley Stephens Elder’s Representative
Darius Ferris Band Council Representative
Guests:
Chief Roger Wesley
Lisa Guacci, Executive Director
Lina Pozzebon, Native Liaison, Hearst District MNR
Staff:
Bertha Sutherland, Land Use Specialist & Chairperson
Raymond Stephens ATK and Trappers Council Coordinator
Vanessa Ineese Assistant to the Land Use Specialist
Louis Corbeil Working Group Secretary (Hearst District MNR),
Suzanne Deforest Far North Branch, MNR (By telephone)

August 31, 2011 minutes
These minutes are not available and will be tabled at the next meeting.

Chief Roger Wesley; Draft Terms of Reference & Federal Species at Risk Program
Chief Wesley said that the Band Council wanted a report from the Working Group. He said that Council wanted “base line information”. This includes information on mining, forestry, water power and other possible development. He said ATK should provide not only landscape identification but also the social aspect of our Community, what makes us what we are. We want our ATK and modern science to bond.

The Chief added that we must identify how we will collect this information. Getting all this data will be costly. That is why the Terms of Reference for a Land Use Plan is “a big ticket”. With an LUP, CLFN will ask for longer term financing to manage the plan. Council wants a final version of the LUP Terms of Reference by the end of January 2012.

2012 – 2013 Federal Species at Risk Program
The Chief asked for assistance from MNR in preparing an “Expression of Interest” further to the Federal Species at Risk Program call for proposal.

Lina Pozzebon suggested that CLFN communicate with Dave Barbour, Management Biologist for MNR in the Kapuskasing office. He is the Species at Risk specialist in the district.

Councillor Ferris suggested we should have a kind of museum to show to visitors why land is important to us. It would also educate. We should also have this information on the internet. It is important we make people realize First Nations lived on the land and will still be here for a long time.

The Chief asked that a meeting with Chris Marr, Suzanne Deforest and Connie Buck be organised around November 21st. At that time he asked that the work done to date on the film being prepared by Justin Neegan as well a draft Expression of Interest for Federal Species at Risk be presented.

Finally, the Chief asked Suzanne Deforest where will the funds for managing the land that CLFN will have identified in its Terms of Reference” as an “Area of Interest” come from. Suzanne will try to get an answer for the meeting on the 21st of November 2011.

Far North Caribou Open House in CLFN
The Chief asked that this open house be on a Monday night. There will be an update by Gerry Racey (MNR Species at Risk) as well as a report on finding on caribou further to collaring. Elders will be invited. The MNR (Species at Risk) will be asked to provide a feast and door prizes. The Chief stressed that this open house is not to be construed as “Consultation”. It is only information provided to the community.

Traditional Skills Activity
A proposal will be submitted to CORDA to try to develop a course on trapping and related traditional activities. The deadline for application is October 24, 2011.

Staff Updates
Raymond had training last week in Toronto on Environmental Assessment and First Nations. He will be making a report.
The trapper’s course Raymond, Marco Plamondon and Lina are working on has been postponed because manuals are outdated.
Raymond will meet trappers on November 19. He will give an update on trapping regulations.
Raymond met Liliane Trapper. She said she could share the Moose Cree LUP.

Bertha
Charlene Neegan and Corrina Cheechoo left their positions and are not part of the committee anymore.
On Tuesday, October 11, the Working Group Terms of Reference will be presented to the Band Council.

Open House Update
Bertha also mentioned that there will be an Elders meeting in November to discuss where they lived and hunted in the Far North.

Draft Terms of Reference
Bertha mentioned that she is looking at the Cat Lake – Slate Falls Land Use Plan Terms of Reference with Suzanne Deforest as a model.

Using watershed to determine “Area of Interest”
Louis Corbeil explained that he has learned that other First Nation (Cat Lake) used the watershed for determining their area of interest. He presented a map of the Far North with tertiary watersheds. This method has the advantage of establishing areas without imposing a firm line. Watersheds are also natural boundaries.

Meeting with MNR Staff
This is still in the planning stage. A date will be set once a new CLFN Native Liaison and Communication Coordinator are hired.

Next meeting:
Next meeting is November 16, 2011.

Louis Corbeil
Scribe

 

Minutes of meeting held on August 31st, 2011 at Constance Lake Band Office at 1; 30 pm

Attendance(8);
Derek Ineese Trapper Representative,
Justin Neegan Youth Representative.
Darius Ferris Band Council Representative
Staff;
Bertha Sutherland, Land Use Specialist & Chairperson,
Raymond Stephens ATK and Trappers Council coordinator,
Vanessa Ineese Assistant to the Land Use Coordinator,
Louis Corbeil Working Group Secretary (Hearst District MNR),
Suzanne Deforest Far North Branch, MNR (By telephone).
Absent;
Jemima Baxter, Women representative,
Stanley Stephens, Elder representative,
Charlene Neegan, Communications Coordinator,

Minutes of June 30th, 2011 meeting
Minutes are approved with correction; Jemima was not on the raft trip but Corrina was.

Business arising from minutes
Bertha mentioned that the Chief has requested, during a joint CLFN and District MNR meeting held on August 30th, 2011, that the Mission Statement of the Working Group be presented to the Band Council.

New Representative of Band Council
Darius Ferris will represent Band Council on the Working Group. He replaces Ron Wesley who is no longer a member of the Band Council. Darius said he is looking forward to learning and working with the Group.

Open House September 26, 2011
There will be an open house for Community members on the 26th of September 2011.
A barbecue supper will be served.
Bertha is presently working on a Newsletter.

GIS training
Bertha and Raymond had some GIS training from Mattawa.

ATK & Trappers course
Raymond Stephens is setting up a Trappers course for September 15th. He is also working on reviving the Trappers Council. He is also working on a solution for nuisance beavers.
On September 22nd he will visit the MNR Office to discuss ATK and information that the District may have.
He visited an old grave site along the railway tracks, pass Kabina. He will return and take GIS points.

Film on Raft Trip
Justin is editing the film footage he took on the raft trip. He plans on making a documentary. He is up to day 4. Justin will present to the group what he has done so far at the next meeting.

Draft Land Use Plan
The aim of the Working Group is to have a draft Terms of Reference by February 2012.

Next meeting
The next meeting is scheduled for September 21, 2011.

Work in progress & date issue first discussed;
Mission Statement (Terms of reference for W.G.) – March 31st, 2011
Get map from Dr. Pollock – April 20, 2011.
Information sharing Protocol with District MNR & Classification of sensitive documents – May 11, 2011.
Community meeting for pictures and Far North Map – May 11, 2011.
Year of the Forest celebration with Hearst LCC – May 11, 2011.
Meet University of Hearst – June 28, 2011
Meeting with District employees- June 28, 2011

Louis Corbeil
Scribe


Minutes of meeting held on June 28, 2011 at Constance Lake Band Office at 1; 20 pm

Attendance(8);
Derek Ineese Trapper Representative,
Justin Neegan Youth Representative.
Staff;
Bertha Sutherland, Land Use Specialist & Chairperson,
Corrina Chee Choo Native Liaison,
Raymond Stephens ATK and Trappers Council coordinator,
Vanessa Ineese Assistant to the Land Use Coordinator,
Louis Corbeil Working Group Secretary (Hearst District MNR),
Suzanne Deforest Far North Branch, MNR (By telephone).
Absent;
Jemima Baxter, Women representative,
Stanley Stephens, Elder representative,
Charlene Neegan, Communications Coordinator,
Roger Wesley, CLFN EDC Officer (Elected Chief in June 2011),
Ron Wesley, Band Council member Ron Wesley is not a member of the Band Council as of June 2011 elections).

Minutes of May 11, 2011 meeting
Minutes are approved as presented.

Business arising from minutes
None.

New employees
Raymond explained that he will be working at collecting “Aboriginal Traditional Knowledge” (ATK). He is presently working at setting up (reviving) the Trappers Council.
Corrina is the new Native Liaison for CLFN.

Visit to Tlicho

They have self government. There leader is the “Prime minister”. They invited Chief and council of CLFN to visit them and to discuss how they developed into self government. They already have a “Land Use Plan” and said they where ready to share their knowledge.

Raft trip.
Raymond, Justin, Bertha, Corrina and Stanley where part of the trip.
Bertha said Justin and Jonathan (Neegan) took pictures and filmed the trip. Justin
is editing and it will eventually be presented to the community.
All participants felt it was a worthwhile experience.
Bertha; suggested that CLFN do a “Trail of our ancestor” booklet. She said Tlicho has one and every year they go on a different trip.

Mission statement for the Committee
Louis presented a list of back ground information that could be attached to the mission statement when presenting to Band Council (See attached list).

Meet University of Hearst
The University has a research centre on forestry in the region. The W.G. asked Louis to set up a meeting with the University in August.

Bell Tower Site visit
Bell (Telecommunication Company) wants to purchase crown land near “Eagles Earth” to erect a communication tower. The MNR has circulated to the Native Liaison an “Environmental Assessment Checklist”. Corrina, Bertha and Raymond visited with Louis the site in question.

Meeting with District
Martha Heidenheim wants the District to meet with new employees from CLFN. Date and time to be determined.

Suzanne offered to make a poster on the trip.

Suzanne said she would forward to the W.G. model agreements for drafting a Land Use Plan.

Work in progress;
Mission Statement (Terms of reference for W.G.) – March 31st, 2011
River Trip – March 31st, 2011 (Completed. To be removed from this list)
Trip to Tlicho, NWT – April 20, 2011 (Completed; To be removed from this list)
Get map from Dr. Pollock – April 20, 2011.
Information sharing Protocol with District MNR & Classification of sensitive documents – May 11, 2011.
Community meeting for pictures and Far North Map – May 11, 2011.
Year of the Forest celebration with Hearst LCC – May 11, 2011.
Meet University of Hearst in August – June 28, 2011
Bell Tower Site – June 28, 2011

Louis Corbeil
Scribe

 Minutes of meeting held on May 11, 2011 at Constance Lake Band Office at 1; 30 pm.

Attendance(10);
Jemima Baxter, Woman representative
Stanley Stephens, Elder representative
Derek Ineese, Trapper representative
Justin Neegan, Youth Representative

Staff;
Bertha Sutherland, Land Use Specialist & Chairperson
Roger Wesley, CLFN Economic Development Officer
Charlene Neegan, Communications Coordinator
Vanessa Inesse, Assistant to the Land Use Specialist
Louis Corbeil, Working Group Secretary (Hearst District MNR)
Suzanne Deforest Far North Branch, MNR (By telephone)

Absent;
Ron Wesley, Band Council member, land portfolio

Minutes of April 20, 2011 meeting
Minutes are approved as presented.

Business arising from minutes
Vanessa will send Louis email of W.G. members so he can send draft minutes directly.

CLFN LUP W.G. Draft Terms of reference
Roger stated that they will be endorsed next meeting then they will be forwarded to Band Council for approval. Next meeting will also be decided who will present Terms of Reference to Band Council. Maybe all should be present.

Video titled “Paquatasquamik is Home”
Bertha travelled to Timmins to see this video about a trip by First Nations on the Albany River. She bought a copy of the DVD which is available for W.G. members.

Bertha’s Report
Leaving for Tlicho, NWT on the 15th of May to visit and discuss how they went about drafting a land use plan.
Went to school on Friday and ask students to do an essay on CLFN. Will need volunteers to select winners who will be participating in river trip. Charlene and Justin will do this with the School principal.

Update on meeting with District MNR on information sharing protocol
This meeting took place on April 21st. Louis will submit a report next W.G. meeting.
Vanessa will be making a list of the files held by MNR that are to be transferred to CLFN. This list will help the working group decide what is sensitive information that should not be made public.

Raft Trip update
Roger Wesley reported that the trip will start on May 27. On the 26th there will be an orientation session for participants.
Stanley expressed concern that water may be to low on the 27th of May.
Derek has started working today. Luc Smith will be in on Friday and he should have final drawings of rafts.
Pauline Wesley, certified for treating diabetics, will be on the trip.
Marc Johnson, MNR retiree, will be invited to participate in the trip.
Justin will be responsible for filming.
Louis will ask MNR if they have GPS they could lend.
(See list of tasks attached to this report).

Other items
Louis advised that there will be a celebration in Hearst on the 17th of September, 2011, this being the “UN Year of the Forest”. Mélanie Veilleux of the Hearst LCC is the instigator. CLFN is invited to participate.

Selection for a Native Liaison is complete. She will be hired and start work on the 27th of May, 2011. She will be part of the W.G.

There will be interviews for an ATK coordinator.

A community meeting will be organised after the river trip to discuss Far North and to ask Elders to help identify pictures.

Work in progress;
Mission Statement (Terms of reference for W.G.) – March 31st, 2011
River Trip – March 31st, 2011
Trip to Tlicho, NWT – April 20, 2011.
Get map from Dr. Pollock – April 20, 2011.
Information sharing Protocol with District MNR & Classification of sensitive documents – May 11, 2011.
Community meeting for pictures and Far North Map – May 11, 2011.
Year of the Forest celebration with Hearst LCC – May 11, 2011.

Next meeting;
Next meeting will be on June 22, 2011.

Louis Corbeil
Secretary, CLFN LUP W.G.

 Minutes of meeting held on April 20, 2011 at Constance Lake Band Office at 1; 30 pm.

Attendance;
Jemima Baxter, Woman representative
Stanley Stephens, Elder representative
Derek Ineese, Trapper representative
Justin Neegan, Youth Representative
Suzanne Deforest Far North Branch, MNR (By telephone)
Staff;
Bertha Sutherland, Land Use Specialist & Chairperson
Vanessa Inesse, Assistant to the Land Use Specialist
Louis Corbeil, Working Group Secretary (Hearst District MNR)

Absent;
Ron Wesley, Band Council member, land portfolio
Roger Wesley, CLFN Economic Development Officer

Minutes of March 31st, 2011 meeting
Minutes are approved as presented.

CLFN LUP W.G. Draft Mission
Bertha presented a draft Mission Statement for the Working Group. This item is postponed to the next meeting.

2011 – 2012 Budget for Land Use Planning
Bertha explained that she, Roger and Louis met with representatives from the Far North Branch of the Ministry of Natural Resources; Connie Buck & Suzanne Laforet). CLFN’s request was for 389 000$.
After negotiations, Connie indicated that she would propose an allocation of 325 000$ for 14 months as of April 2011, with the possibility of further funding in 2012 – 2013. It was also agreed that the work outlined in CLFN’s presentation was for a two year period.
Bertha told Suzanne of far North that her job was to keep the money flowing.

Bertha’s Report
Representatives from the W.G. will be traveling to the North West Tlicho community Territories on May 16, 2011. There they will meet with the Band Council and staff to discuss how they went about drafting a land use plan. They will also look into their storage and backup system for their Aboriginal Traditional Knowledge (ATK). It is a three day trip. Bertha hopes to bring an ATK from CLFN on the trip.

Bertha said she will be contacting Dr. Pollock, who some ATK worked in Constance Lake in the 70s’. Dr. Pollock has a values map which the W.G. would like to recuperate. It is on CD.

Justin Neegan mentioned that he did some ATK work for CLFN in 2008 and he could possibly help on a technical side.

Bertha said that she would be meeting with District MNR and MNDM&F to discuss an information sharing protocol on the 21st (April).

Venessa will be doing some Office procedure training.

Bertha reported that 48 Community members attended an introductory meeting on Land Use Planning. People who attended wanted more information on Far North; what area it covers. Unfortunately there where no proper map at the meeting.

Louis Corbeil showed a map he got from Far North, outlining the area. This should be presented at the next community meeting.

River Trip
This item was discussed shortly. Roger Wesley will make a report next meeting.

Round table and next meeting;
-We are on the right track but we need dollars
-Interesting meeting

Next meeting will be May 11, 2011.

Louis Corbeil
Secretary, CLFN LUP W.G.

Minutes  of meeting held on March 31st, 2011

Attendance(7);
Jemima Baxter, Woman representative
Stanley Stevens, Elder representative
Roger Wesley, CLFN Economic Development Officer
Derek Ineese, Trapper representative

Staff;
Bertha Sutherland, Land Use Specialist
Vanessa Inesse, Assistant to the Land Use Specialist
Louis Corbeil, Working Group Secretary (Hearst District MNR)
Absent;
Ron Wesley band Council member, land portfolio
Justin Neegan, Youth Rep.
Far North representative

Community meeting
Bertha showed the power point she prepared for presentation at a Community Feast tonight (See PP attached).

CLFN LUP W.G. Mission
Roger Wesley presented a draft Mission Statement for the Working Group. Next meeting we will work on this Mission Statement to make it a true representation of the W.G.’s role.

Roger also presented the outline with budget of the work to be carried out and to be financed by MNR Far North Branch.
Bertha, Lisa, Roger & Louis will meet with Far North Branch representatives to negotiate allocations.

Louis Corbeil
Scribe

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s